Vigilant Controls India design and manufacture automatic power factor correction panel(APFC PANEL)
Power Factor is ratio which represents actual power dissipated in A.C. circuit to the product of R.M.S. voltage and current. The phase difference between voltage and current is caused by reactance in circuit and represents power that does no useful work.
Power factor is low in industrial settings where most of the plant energy is used to power electric motors. It is lowest when the induction motors tend to be oversized and under-loaded. A lagging (less than 1.0) power factor causes some additional energy loss because more current is required to deliver a required amount of power. Correcting power factor can be an appropriate and cost effective measure.
Inductive load is major cause of poor factor and which is responsible for unnecessarily power loss, hence it results in rise of electricity bills of industrial, commercial consumer so Reactive power compensation is very need of today’s industries. We can easily control and maintain power factor near to unity with Automatic Power Factor Correction Panel.
The APFC Panel shall be metal clad, indoor type floor mounted in Non drawout execution. Fabricated from Sheet steel shall be CRCA of minimum 2.0 mm thickness. Incomer Circuit breaker or MCB shall be mounted in a separate compartment and Metering compartment along with APFC Relay etc shall be separate. The position of various control switches, push buttons, louvers etc. requiring manual operation. The operational Height of Panel shall be at a height not less than 300mm and shall not exceed 1850mm from the finished floor level. Name plate for each incoming and outgoing feeder at front. All equipments of similar rating shall be interchangeable.
CONCEPTS OF APFC PANEL:
when power factor is unity ,then industries receive active power or useful power only i.e. KW=KVA
If it is lagging P.F ,the industries receive both useful power (KW) and reactive power(use less power) (KVAr). To meet this reactive power, distribution transformer capacity also to be increased. Then only we can avoid low voltage, losses etc. So we have to provide APFC panel to bring the P.F to unity.
In case of rapidly varying and scattered loads it becomes difficult to maintain a high power factor by manually switching on/off the capacitors in proportion to variation of load within a installation. This drawback is overcome by using an APFC panel (Automatic Power Factor Correction Panel) which not only maintains a high power factor but also eliminates the need for constant manual intervention.
Features of APFC RELAY:
- Measurements are with Class-1 accuracy.
- Advance Automatic synchronization feature. It is capable of giving correct results even for wrong connections at CT terminals & also wrong polarity of CTs.
- Load V,I and THD measurement .
- Capable of doing reactive power measurements on every cycle of the mains waveform.
- Standard 144 X 144 cabinet for panel door flush mounting.
- Serial communication through standard Dedicated protocols.
- One RS-232 communication port is provided on front fascia.
- Four months of data logging is possible data in the form of hourly Records Fault Records– recording all electrical values.
- Event Protections :
Over/under Voltage(OV/UV) ,Over/Under frequency(OF/UF) ,Under load(UL),Over Current(OC), Over temperature(OT),Neutral Fault(NF),Control Fuse fault(CF),Over Temperature(OT) ,Voltage THD(VH),Current THD(IH).
ADVANTAGES OF APFC PANEL:
- Ability to maintain a constant high power factor.
- Suitable for both balanced and unbalanced load.
- Improves efficiency of the system by reducing losses.
- Minimizing the line losses &harmonics.
- Economical with faster payback periods.
- Cost reduction in the electricity bill by 25%.
BENEFITS OF APFC PANEL:
- Consistently high power factor under fluctuating loads.
- Prevention of leading power factor
- Eliminate power factor penalty
- Lower energy consumption by reducing losses
- Continuously sense and monitor load
- Automatically switch on/off relevant capacitor steps for consistent power supply
- Ensure easy user interface
- Protect under any internal fault
- Advance ᶙ-relay with communication facility
- User friendly, aesthetically designed enclosure, dust and vermin proof
- Avoid excess bill due to low power factor.
Cost benefits of Power Factor improvement :
- Reduced Maximum demand (kVA) charges on utility bill
- Reduced distribution losses(kWh) within the plant network
- Better voltage i.e. motor terminal and improve performance of motor.
- Reduce heat loss of transformers and distribution equipment
- Prolong the life of distribution equipment
- Stabilizes voltage levels and increase your system’s capacity, etc.